Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, November 16, 2020

Eggplant Rollatini

Eggplant Rollatini

When we were little, we were not dirt poor, but we weren’t rich either. As an inexpensive way to make us feel special, my mom allowed us to make the dinner menu on our birthdays. (Shout out to my sister Dana for always asking for cereal.) I asked for fried chicken livers and fried eggplant. My birthdays were not so popular with my siblings, but it was my day. And I do what I want.

Eggplant Rollatini is an homage to my birthday presents. No chicken livers, but lots of eggplant. 

Some people sprinkle salt on their eggplants and allow them to sweat and then dry them off as a first step. Unnecessary extra work. Those same people bread and fry their eggplant slices. I’m not sure why. Maybe they’re bored. But I like mine this way. You will, too.


 Servings: 6-8
Time:  Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes; Rollatini in an hour
Hardware: Cutting board and large knife, measuring cups and spoons, a bowl, 11.5’x13 inch baking dish

 

 

Ingredients:

  • 2 large eggplants-1 ½ pounds
  • Cooking spray
  • Salt &  pepper
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • ½  cup mozzarella cheese
  • ½ + ½  cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons of basil pesto (I always make my own)
  • 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce ( I used Mid’s Tomato Basil)
  • Fresh basil for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 400˚. Wash the eggplant and remove any wax that might be on it. Slice it, long ways, into ⅓ inch thick slices.
  2. Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. I needed two, but you can cook it in batches.
  3. Lay the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
  4. While the eggplant is baking, mix the ricotta cheese, ½ cup of the Parmesan, the egg and the pesto.
  5. Spray the bottom of the glass baking dish with cooking spray.
  6. Salt and pepper both sides of each slice of eggplant. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the cheese onto the eggplant and spread it out to the other end. Roll the eggplant slice up starting with the big end. Lay the roll seam side down into the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
  7. Pour the sauce over the eggplant. Use the spatula  to make sure that all the eggplant is covered in sauce. Bake for 30 minutes then cover the top with the rest of the parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes or until the top is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment