Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Creamed Peas

Creamed Peas


My grandmother poured milk in sweet peas whenever she made them. I’m sure that was leftover from her growing up during the depression when Creamed Peas on toast was a popular meal. We didn’t eat them over bread, we had them as a side dish with Sunday dinner. There is a reason Creamed Peas were popular. They are inexpensive, filling, easy to make and so delicious. Serve this as part of your Thanksgiving menu. You will definitely be thankful.

Creamed Peas are pretty good as is. If you want to change them up, I have given you a list of optional add-ins. Only use one add-in and one herb. I added in pearl onions and dried basil.

I also suggested you use frozen peas, but you can use canned peas if you want. Make sure to rinse them a few times and don’t over cook them. Canned peas can be mushy. These can be made ahead and gently rewarmed.

 

 

 

 

Servings: 6-8
Time:  Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 10 Minutes;  Peas in 14 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a colander, a large pot for the peas, a saucepot, a whisk, a big silicone spatula and a large serving dish.

 Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of frozen, sweet English peas
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup cream
  • ½  cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • ½  teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon peppep
  • Optional add-ins: ¼ cup cooked, baby pearl onions, ¼ cup cooked, sliced mushrooms, ⅛ cup chopped cooked ham, 1 teaspoon dried basil OR 1teaspoon dried parsley OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme OR ½ teaspoon dried mint
  1.  Cook the  peas according to package directions and drain. Place them into the serving dish.
  2. Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk until the roux is the color of butter, about another minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and cream. Bring to a low boil. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper, sugar and add-ins and herbs, if you are using them.
  3. Fold the hot sauce over the drained peas. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment