Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Sausage with Olives and Grapes

Usually, my Thanksgiving menu has a theme. This year, it is nostalgia. The Creamed Peas reminded me of my maternal Grandma.

Sausage with Olives & Grapes
This dish reminds me of my paternal Grandfather. He lived alone and was much older than my other grandparents. My other cousins called him Mr. Baldinelli or Grandpa Baldinelli. I called him Joe. I don’t know how that came about. Who recalls how we get or give names? Sometimes, when I was in high school, I would skip class and ride the city bus over to visit him. We always made lunch. He wasn’t what you might call warm and grandpa-ish, but he appreciated that I came over. We didn’t have much to talk about, but we talked about the food we were making. He often made this dish. Sometimes, he added grape tomatoes and garlic. Sometimes, he served it over crusty bread and sometimes we ate it by itself. But always, he talked to me and I listened, and he was my Grandfather. After lunch, I would clean up and catch the city bus back to school so I could catch the school bus home. I miss him.

This would be a great Thanksgiving brunch dish or a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Use whatever kind of sausage you like. Sweet Italian sausage would be nice. I used wiejska kielbasa because Fehrenbacher's Artisan Sausage, our local artisan butcher, had them in the case. I wouldn't use anything spicy.

 

 

Servings: 4-8 depending on how you plan on serving it
Time:  Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 45 Minutes;  Goodness in under an hour 
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a wooden spoon, a fork, a deep, non-stick skillet that can be used on the stove-top and in the oven-I like to use cast iron, a heavy potholder, a plate, a large, pretty serving dish

 Ingredients

  • ½  Spanish onion, about 4 ounces
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound  of seedless red grapes with the stems removed
  • 1 cup pitted Kalamata black olives
  • 1½ pounds of sausage
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds (you can substitute chives or parsley) Save a little for garnish
  • 4 cups of prepared wild rice
  1.  Slice the onions as thinly as you possibly can. Preheat the oven to 450˚. Rinse the olives if they are canned or jarred.
  2. Cover the bottom of the skillet in oil. Heat over medium-high. Add the onions and sauté until the onions turn translucent and just begin to brown.
  3. Add the grapes and olives. Salt and pepper generously. Sauté for about 5 more minutes, stirring often.
  4. Poke the sausages all over and place them on top of the grape mixture. Sprinkle with fennel seeds. Place the skillet into the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Flip the sausage over about halfway through. Check and make sure they are thoroughly cooked.
  5. Remove the sausage from the skillet.
  6. Return the skillet to the stove-top on medium-high. Add the chopped fennel fronds to the grape mixture. Gently stir. Add the vinegar and water to the skillet and scrape up any little brown bits from the bottom. Allow to boil for a minute or so. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
  7. To serve, slice the sausage, at an angle, into serving sized pieces. Fill the serving dish with the prepared, warm, wild rice. Use a slotted spoon to scoop up the grape mixture and place it on top of the rice. Save a spoonful for garnish. Top the grapes with the sausage. Pour all the liquid left in the skillet over everything. Top with the remaining grape mixture and the fronds you saved.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment