Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Pan Seared Ribeye with Compound Butter

Instead of burgers and hot dogs, I decided to make steaks for our Independence Day celebration.  We have been attending many cookouts and children’s birthday parties and are sort of hamburger/hot dogged out.  I could have made pulled pork sandwiches, but I wanted to do something new for the blog.  So, steaks seemed the most logical choice.

Usually my husband is in charge of choosing and preparing steaks. But I am using this blog as a learning tool and decided to do this myself.  I chose ribeye steaks because they are the tastiest.  When choosing steaks you want to find slabs that are marbled, meaning having veins of fat throughout.  Well-marbled steaks are juicier.  You also want to purchase pieces of meat that are at least an inch thick.  Otherwise, you will have difficulty preparing them to any temperature less than medium.

I was worried about cooking the steaks to the correct temperature.  I like mine a little rarer than my husband who prefers his medium-rare.  I am not yet comfortable with the grill, so I pan seared the steak.  I researched many sites for information on cooking steaks in your kitchen.  I adapted my cooking method from Alton Brown.  Worked out perfectly.

I’m a big believer in keeping steak simple.  If you pay a small fortune for a piece of beef, you want to be able to taste it. So, instead of marinating the steak or creating some sort of rub, I flavored it with compound butter.  You can use any herbs you want, I just happened to have rosemary on hand.  You can use the compound butter for other purposes.  Rub hot corn on the cob with flavored butter. Mix it in your favorite veggies.  Or use it on a baked potato or add it as a finishing touch to mashed potatoes. 

I will definitely make more steaks.  I hope to learn to use the grill, but for now this was a success.

Servings: 2
Time:   Prep: 10 minutes; Rest: 2 hours; Cook: 6-7 Minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons, a cutting board and knives OR a spice grinder, a zester, a mixer and mixing bowl, a wooden spoon, a rubber spatula, an airtight container, plastic wrap, a large, heavy bottomed skillet that can be used on the stove top & in the oven (I prefer cast iron), tongs, heavy duty potholders, 2 plates, tinfoil

Ingredients:
  • 2- 1 to 1¼ inch thick ribeye steaks
  • 2 sticks of softened, salted butter
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon chives
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Salt & pepper

I use a coffee grinder to chop the garlic and rosemary. 
Make sure to wipe it out between spices and to use a separate grinder for coffee.















  1. Dice the chives and zest the lemon and set aside.
  2. Dice the garlic and rosemary.  Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high.  Add the garlic and rosemary.  Sauté until the garlic turns golden brown, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the cooked herbs (with butter), chives, lemon zest, and butter to the mixing bowl.  Whip until the butter is fluffy.
  4. Scrape the whipped butter into the airtight container.  Place a piece of plastic wrap over the butter and make sure that it comes into contact with the entire surface of the butter.  Cover and place in the fridge.
  5. Remove the steaks from the fridge about an hour before you want to cook them.  Salt and pepper them generously on both sides.
       This gives you steak that is seared on the outside, but juicy in the middle.  The compound butter imparts just enough flavor to complement but not over power the ribeye.
  6. Pre-heat the oven to 500˚.
  7. On top of the stove get the skillet as hot as possible.  You can even stick it in the oven, just be careful. 
  8. One at a time, lay each steak in the middle of the hot skillet.  Don’t touch it, or poke it, or anything.  Leave it alone! After 30 seconds, remove it to one of the plates.  Do this to the other steak.  Now sear the opposite side the same way, one steak at a time, no moving, for only 30 seconds.
  9. Now put the skillet in the oven.  Lay both steaks in the skillet and roast in the hot oven for 2 minutes.  Flip and place a large dollop of butter on each steak.  Roast for 2 more minutes.  This will give you medium rare steaks.
  10. Remove from the oven and place on the clean plate.  Loosely tent with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Pan Seared Ribeye with Compound Butter
 Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment