Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad

I was trying to come up with a side dish for our 4th of July celebration.  I thought about pasta salad, but couldn’t think of a way to work in the Independence Day theme.  So I was digging through my pantry for inspiration and saw that I had red and white new potatoes.  A light bulb went off in my head.  I could add blue (well purple, but work with me folks) potatoes and make Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad.  Then I remembered that my husband doesn’t like cold potato salad.  Lucky I am resourceful.

So I present my Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad.  It is yummy and bacon-y and American and star spangled.  Okay, I’m getting carried away, but it’s really good.

Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad
Servings: 6-8
Time:    Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 10-15 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, cutting board and knives, an air tight container, a pot, a colander, a large mixing bowl, a wooden spoon

Ingredients: 
  • 1 ½  pounds red, white, and purple new potatoes
  • 1 small onion (¼ cup)
  • ⅓ cup oil
  • ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons spicy course ground mustard
  • 6 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
  • Chives (optional)
  • Salt & Pepper
  1. Rinse the potatoes.  Cut them into quarters. Place them in the pot of salted boiling water.   Only cook them until they are fork tender.  This will take about 10 minutes.
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, roughly chop the onion.  Place he onions, oil, vinegar, and mustard in the airtight container and shake vigorously to mix.
  3. Drain the potatoes and in the mixing bowl gently mix the crumbled bacon, potatoes and dressing.  Check the seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Serve warm.  You can top with chopped chives right before serving for added crunch and color.



Pan Seared Steak with Compound Butter
Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment