Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sloppy Giuseppes

I think I might keep riffing on the old standby Sloppy Joes.  I have made Sloppy Josés, a Tex-Mex version.  Now these Sloppy Giuseppes, while not Italian by any stretch of the imagination, were inspired by Italian-American ingredients.  And my grandfather, who, while not sloppy, was a Guiseppe.

Servings: 12 sliders
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cooking: 20 minutes
Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a large heavy bottomed skillet, a can opener, a wooden spoon, and a baking sheet
Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • 1 pound ground beef 
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1-15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • ½  cup sun-dried tomato pesto (found in the pasta aisle)
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 pinch sugar
  • 1 dozen slider buns (mini-hamburger buns, potato rolls, etc.)
  • 6- 1 ounce slices of smoked provolone
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • baby spinach and tomatoes for garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Heat the olive oil in the skillet on medium high.
  3. Chop the garlic.
  4. Cook and crumble the meat and garlic until the meat is brown and cooked through (7-10 minutes). Drain most of the fat from the pan.
  5. Return the meat to the medium high pan. Add the sauce, pesto, seasonings, and sugar and stir until everything is completely incorporated.
  6. Allow the Giuseppis to come to a boil, stirring often.  Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Stir enough to keep the Guiseppis from sticking.  Remove from the heat.
  7. Cut the buns open and spread with butter. Divide the mixture evenly between sandwiches.  Top each sandwich with ½ slice of cheese.
  8. Bake the sandwiches, open face, for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese completely melts.
  9. Garnish each slider with slices of tomato and baby spinach leaves.
 Serve with Parmesan Zucchini Fries
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment