Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Parmesan Potato Crusted Tilapia

Instant potatoes are not good for making mashed potatoes; they are bland and mealy.  They are however useful for thickening soups, as a filler in meatloaf, a good addition to crab cakes, for making homemade gnocchi and for breading.  I tried using them to coat tilapia fillets.   Success! 


Servings: 4-6
Time:  Prep: 10 minutes   Cooking:  12-14 minutes

Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a fork, 2 large shallow bowls**, non-stick foil, a baking sheet, a large spatula


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup instant potato flakes
  • ½ cup bread crumbs
  • ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning 
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • S&P to taste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 pound tilapia fillets
  • Cooking spray
Crispy, crunchy joy!
  1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
  2. Rinse the fish in clean water and pat dry.  Cut into serving sizes. Liberally salt and pepper.
  3. Mix the potatoes, crumbs, cheese, and seasonings in a bowl.
  4. Beat the egg and yogurt together in the other bowl.
  5. Line the baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  6. Dip each fillet into the yogurt mixture, then into the crumb mixture.
  7. Place the fish onto the prepared baking sheet.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.
  8. Bake the fish for 7 minutes and then turn with the spatula.
  9. Bake for 5-7 minutes on the second side depending on the thickness of the fillets.  Be careful to not over cook the fish.  It is done when it is opaque and flakes easily.
Serve with risotto, steamed veggies, and garlic bread. Offer your guests lemon caper butter sauce.    

**I save aluminum pie plates for this.  They are the perfect size and when it is time to clean up, I just toss the whole mess into the trash.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have plain yogurt, what can I substitute for the yogurt?

    ReplyDelete