Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sunshine Peach Cobbler

My friend Kathy has been bringing peaches to work for lunch all week. I have also seen them for sale in the grocery store. So I have peaches on my mind. The fact that I live in Florida means that I have access to fresh Georgia peaches. Georgia peaches come to market in May and last until around the end of August. Sadly, peach season is ending. So you should make this dessert right away. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait another year to enjoy summer in a bowl.




Servings: 8-10
Time: Prep: 15 minutes, cooking: 55 minutes
Hardware: Measuring cups and spoons, knives, cutting board, wooden spoon, sauce pan, mixing bowl, and a 13”x 9” glass baking dish

  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/16 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 cups fresh peach slices-5 to 6 peaches
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 2 tablespoons orange preserves

  1. Preheat the oven to 375°
  2. Put the butter in the glass dish and put it in the pre-heating oven to allow it to melt.
  3. Remove the glass dish from the oven.
  4. Combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk, stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
  5. Pour the batter over the butter. DO NOT stir.
  6. Mix the corn starch in the orange juice until it dissolves.
  7. Put the peach slices, brown sugar, orange juice and orange preserves in the sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
  8. Pour the peaches over the batter. DO NOT STIR.
  9. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until it is golden brown.
 Serve the cobbler warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It also tastes great at room temperature.
________________________________________________________
Hint, Hint:  Learn how to peel a peach here

No comments:

Post a Comment