Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Gurkensalat (Cucumber Salad)

My friend Pat’s mother is from Germany. She has served this many times at picnics. It is creamy, bright, and refreshing. I tried to recreate her dish. This isn’t quite as wonderful as Maria’s, but it is still tasty.

Servings: 4
Time: 20 minutes
Hardware: Measuring cups and spoons, a vegetable peeler, cutting board and knife, a colander, a bowl

Das schmeckt sehr gut.
This tastes very good.
 Ingredients:
  • 1 English cucumber, these are long, skinny, and seedless (You can substitute 2 regular cukes, but you must seed them.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chives
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • Fresh black pepper
  1. Peel the cucumber. Slice it into very thin 2 inch strips.
  2. Place the cucumber in the colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow it to rest over the sink for 15 minutes.
  3. While the cucumber is resting, mix together everything but the pepper.
  4. Squeeze as much of the water as possible from the cucumbers and mix them into the dressing.
  5. Top with a few grinds of pepper.
You can serve this right away or place it in the fridge to allow the flavors to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment