Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Enchilada Sauce


I like to have the ingredients to make enchilada sauce on hand. Enchiladas are inexpensive, filling and allow you to have variety. You can always buy pre-made enchilada sauce, but I prefer to make my own. I can control the amount to salt and other questionable ingredients. You can also stir in 2 tablespoons of mole paste with the chili powder, etc. You can make the sauce 3 days ahead if you store it in the fridge.

Servings: 4 cups
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, saucepan, whisk

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 tablespoons flour (I used mesa, which is corn flour, to give this a more authentic taste.)
  • ⅓ cup mild chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ - ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper (depending upon how much you like heat)
  • 3 cups broth (beef or vegetable)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 tablespoon tomato paste
  • Salt

  1. In the saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until it begins to sizzle.
  2. Add the flour and whisk constantly until there are no lumps and the flour is a nice golden, buttery color. This should take about 2 minutes. (This is called a roux.)
  3. Add the chili powder, cumin, pepper, and onion & garlic powders. Whisk until everything is incorporated and you have removed all lumps.
  4. Slowly add the broth & water. Whisk often, scrapping the sides and bottom of the pan. Whisk in the tomato paste.
  5. Simmer the sauce for about 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove the saucepan from the heat. Taste and adjust the salt.

 
Use this in Enchiladas, Onion Enchiladas and Enchilada Stuffed Shells

No comments:

Post a Comment