Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad

We were eating at one of our favorite restaurants in town.  We go there because they have the best fries served with garlic aioli.  We ordered a bucket of fries.  So I decided to go light with lunch.  The Beet Salad caught my eye.  This is my attempt to recreate it.  The restaurant used fresh roasted beets.  I’m using pickled beets.  I like mine better.

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Serves: 4
Time: 10 minutes
Hardware:  Salad bowl & salad tongs, measuring spoons and cups, a strainer, a cutting board and knives, a bowl, 4 serving dishes

Ingredients
  • 1-5 ounce bag of pre-washed mixed spring salad greens
  • 16 ounces pickled beets
  • 2 small oranges.
  • 6 ounces chèvre
  • 6 ounces chopped walnuts
  • 4 green onions
  • 1 cup of  Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Salt & Pepper
  1. Drain the beets.
  2. Chop the green onions including the green part.  Peel and section the oranges removing any strings, seeds, or pith.
  3. Toss the greens and onions with ⅓ cup of the vinaigrette. Salt sparingly.
  4. Place the salad into the serving bowls.  Top each serving with ¼ of the beets and oranges.  Sprinkle on 1½ ounce each cheese and walnuts.  Drizzle on a little more vinaigrette.  Finish with a few grinds of black pepper.
Beautiful, healthy, and tasty


 

No comments:

Post a Comment