Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Jicama Slaw


Jicama Slaw

Jicama (hee-cama) is a vine native to Mexico. The edible root is a tuber that looks a little like a potato. It has the texture of a pear and even tastes like a pear, but it isn't as sweet and is starchier. Jicama can be eaten raw, sautéed or even roasted. Jicama is very low in calories and high in fiber and vitamin C. 

Make sure to remove all the tough peel as it can give you an upset stomach.  I usually remove it with a knife rather than a vegetable peeler. 

Making Jicama Slaw is an easy and delicious way to try it for the first time. You could shred your own cabbage and carrots, but I just buy them already prepped to save time. Make sure that you use light olive oil, or the oil will become overpowering. I use this to dress up my Crispy Chicken Tacos.











Servings: 6
Time:  Prep: 10 minutes Chill: 2 hours-Slaw in about 2 hours
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a mixing bowl, a whisk, a large storage container

Ingredients
Dressing

  • ½ cup light olive oil
  • ¼ cup lime juice
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes

………………..
 Salad

  • 1-8-ounce package of shredded cabbage
  • I medium jicama (8 oz)
  • 1 small red onion (4 oz)
  • 2 ounces of matchstick carrots
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro
  • Dressing
  • Fresh black pepper

  1. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside
  2. Remove the outer peel of the jicama. I just cut it off with a knife. Slice the jicama into matchsticks. Slice the onion into the thinnest slices that can. Wash and chop the cilantro
  3. Toss the slaw, jicama, onions, carrots and cilantro. Then toss the slaw with the dressing until everything is thoroughly coated. Chill for at least two hours before serving. Taste and adjust the salt and top with a generous amount of black pepper before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment