Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Fried Matchstick Carrots



Fried Matchstick Carrots

Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away. I suspect that you already have your main dish planned. Turkey or ham or maybe both, right? And you’re having stuffing and rolls and some sort of pie? But what else are you having? I’m giving you another quick and delicious side. Fried Matchstick Carrots are so very easy. And surprisingly wonderful.

When you are making these be careful. Because the carrots are so full of water when you place them into the hot oil, the oil will bubble up. Fill the skillet less than half way with oil. Don’t catch your kitchen on fire!

Finally, you could buy carrots and julienne them or you could save yourself a great deal of time and buy matchstick carrots. I cannot even tell you how cutting them yourself will change the recipe. There was no way I was going to do all that work.

Servings: 4-6
Time: Active: 10 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes; carrots in less than 10 minutes
Hardware: Measuring spoons, a small bowl, a small rubber spatula, a skimmer (spider web), tongs, a very deep skillet or a deep fryer, an oil thermometer, a paper towel covered plate, and a serving dish

Ingredients:

  • 3-10-ounce bags of matchstick carrots
  • 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon dried orange peel
  • ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • Oil for frying


  1. Using the rubber spatula, mix the thyme, sugar, orange peel and salt into the softened butter. Set aside.
  2. Heat the oil to 375˚. You may need to cook the carrots in batches depending upon the size of your skillet. Carefully place the carrots into the oil. Be careful, as the oil will boil up. You may need to use the tongs to spread them out. It only takes 3 minutes or less to finish the carrots.
  3. Place the carrots onto the paper towel covered plate. As soon as they are cool enough to touch toss them in the serving dish with the herbed butter.

 If you like this recipe try
 Roasted Carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment