Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Spicy Shrimp Chowder



Spicy Shrimp Chowder

The temperature dropped into the 40s here last night. In Florida, we consider that Arctic. Frigid weather (it was 53˚ when I went out this morning) requires fuzzy socks, spiking my hot tea with a little brandy and Spicy Shrimp Chowder. Sweet corn and shrimp balance smoky bacon and a little heat to create happiness in a bowl. I love this.

As with all of my recipes, I encourage you to take this and make it your own. I love spicy food. So, I used Ro-Tel Hot Tomatoes with Habaneros. You can have less heat by choosing Ro-Tel Original. If you prefer your dishes without any spiciness use Ro-Tel Mild. You could also add a chopped green pepper with the onions and garlic, but I found that using the Southwest style corn did the trick. Finally, if you want something lighter, skip the butter and the flour and thicken the chowder by adding a cornstarch mixture (2 tablespoons cold water/1 tablespoon cornstarch) with the potatoes.

I made this yesterday. This dish was amazing. I woke up in the middle of the night and had another bowl. I took a bowl of it with me to work. Truth be told, I would have eaten it for dinner again tonight, but there wasn’t enough left for both of us and I didn’t want to share.

Servings: 4-8 (depending on how hungry you are)
Time: Active: 15 minutes; Cook: 35; Dinner in about an hour
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a soup pot, a can opener, a wooden spoon

Ingredients:

  • 4 pieces bacon
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion (4 ounces or ½ cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 ½ pound potatoes
  • 1-10-ounce can Ro-Tel tomatoes-drained and rinsed
  • 10.8-ounce bag Southwest style steam in bag frozen corn (the kind with red and green peppers)
  • 1-pound large shrimp (21-25 count) peeled and cleaned
  • 1 cup half and half
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Garnish:  Crumbled bacon, chopped pickled jalapeños, chopped green onions, parsley, croutons, and/or oyster crackers

  1. Peel the potatoes. Dice into 1-inch cubes. Chop the onions, garlic and bacon. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter over medium heat in the soup pot. Add the chopped bacon, onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft (5-6 minutes).
  3. Add the flour, cumin and paprika. Stir until it is a paste the color of honey. Slowly add the stock, stirring the entire time. Bring to a low boil. Taste and adjust the salt. Add the oregano, potatoes, Ro-Tel and corn (frozen, straight from the bag.) Gently boil until the potatoes are tender. (20 minutes)
  4. Add the raw shrimp and lower the heat. Stir in the half and half. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
  5. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment