Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Carrot Zucchini Pancakes

Savory over Sweet
I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.  I am also not a huge fan of bread.  So pancakes are not one of my favorite foods.  The thought of a big piece of dough drowned in syrup does nothing for me at all.  However, pancakes need not be sweet.  They can be savory.  So I whipped these up for brunch.  They are really, really good.  Really.

I tried a few different herbs.  Tarragon, basil, and oregano (separately-not together) were very tasty.  I just happened to like dill the best, but you could substitute any of the others.  You could also add a little onion or garlic to the batter.  Experiment, but don’t add lemon zest, I had to throw those out.  Also, don’t over stir the batter once you’ve added the flour as that makes the pancakes tough.  You can make the batter the night before, just store in the fridge in an airtight container and stir before using.

Servings: 12-15 silver dollar pancakes
Time:  Prep: 10 minutes, Cooking:  6 minutes per batch (I finished in 30 minutes)
Hardware:  A veggie peeler, a food processor (or grater), measuring cups and spoons, a large mixing bowl, a wooden spoon, a non-stick skillet, a spatula, a plate

Ingredients
  • 1½ lbs. zucchini (3 medium squash)
  • ½ 1bs. carrots (2-3 large carrots)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 to 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh dill (depending on your taste)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Sour cream and chopped green onions
  • Cooking spray
  1. Peel the zucchini.  Use the grater attachment on the processor to grate the carrots and the zucchini.  Then use the processor to chop the veggies into little crumbs. Alternatively, you can grate and roughly dice the veggies.
  2. Mix the veggies, herbs, eggs, and salt.
  3. Gently stir in the flour and baking powder.
  4. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. 
  5. Use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake.  I use a measuring cup or an ice-cream scoop to make sure my pancakes are uniform.  Cook for 2-3 minutes per side.  You might want to adjust the heat because you want the center to cook before the outside gets too brown. Keep the pancakes warm by placing them onto a plate in the oven on the lowest setting while you finish.
  6. Top with sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and chopped green onions.

Carrot Zucchini Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment