Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cheesy Broccoli Rice

I make Cheesy Broccoli Rice every time we have pork chops.  Jeff loves it because it is full of cheese and I like it because it is so easy to make.  And while it isn’t health food it is healthier than most cheese and broccoli dishes because it isn’t made from cream of anything soup.  I use frozen broccoli because most of the time frozen vegetables are more nutritious and once again-easier.

This tastes great as a leftover, just add a little water or milk and microwave.  Cheesy Broccoli Rice is also hearty enough to make a great vegetarian meal.  I always prepare extra to take to work the next day as lunch.

Servings: 4-6
Hardware:  A measuring spoons and cups, a pot with a lid, a wooden spoon, and a mixing bowl
Time:  prep:  5 minutes, cook: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of rice
  • 1-13 ounce package steam in bag frozen broccoli
  • 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • S&P

Cheesy Broccoli Rice
  1. Heat the water and salt until boiling.  Add the rice, cover with the lid and turn it down to low.  Simmer, without opening the lid, for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
  2. While the rice is cooking prepare the broccoli according to package directions.
  3. When the rice is ready stir the rice and the remaining ingredients together in the mixing bowl.  Adjust the S&P.
  4. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment