Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Floriberry Crumble

Strawberries, blueberries, and oranges are all grown in North Florida, where I have lived most of my life.  So this dessert is not necessarily healthy, but it does stick to my philosophy of trying to use local fresh food whenever possible.  It is perfect for Easter.

Servings: 8
Time: Prep: 15 min. Bake 25 min.
Hardware: Microwave safe bowl, cutting board & knives, measuring spoons & cups, a mixing bowl, a fork, a saucepan, a spoon, a wooden spoon, a baking sheet, foil, a rubber spatula, and 8 ramekins

Ingredients:
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 stick of butter, melted
  • 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries
  • 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • ⅓ cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Cooking spray
  • vanilla ice cream
Fresh Floridian fruit makes this dessert special

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 325° Cover the baking sheet in foil.  Set aside.
  2. Wash, slice, and hull the strawberries.  Rinse the blueberries.  Mix the fruit together and set aside.
  3. Melt the butter for 1 minute on 50% power in the microwave.
  4. In the mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats.  Pour in the melted butter and mix until thoroughly combined.  Set aside
  5. Over medium high, combine the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the orange juice and the vanilla. Bring to a boil.  Boil for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  6. Spray the ramekins.  Divide the fruit evenly into the ramekins.  Pour the orange juice mixture over the fruit.  Top each crumble with the oat mixture.  Use the spatula to spread the crumble to the edge of the ramekin. 
  7. Place the ramekins on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
  8. Serve with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment