Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cranberry Bacon Cheese Spread

Okay, cheese balls are, for lack of a better word, cheesy. They conjure up images of 1970s cocktail parties and jello molds.  So I have updated the concept.  This cheese spread is very easy to make and very tasty. Whenever I serve this I always get asked for the recipe.  So if you need to take something to a party, but don’t have much time, this is for you.  (I have also added instructions for making a cheese ball.  I liked the 70s.)

Hardware: Spoon, bowl, storage container
Time:  Prep: 5 minutes,  Resting time: 2-24 hours 
Ingredients:

  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 8 oz crumbled feta
  • 4 oz Hormel Peppered Real Bacon (found in the salad aisle with bacon bits)
  • 4 oz craisins
  • Fresh black pepper to taste

 1.  Mix everything together, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours. Allowing it to refrigerate overnight is better. Serve with a very plain cracker. We use Captains Wafers or Vinta Crackers.
_______________________________________________________________ 
If you have the time and the desire you can make a cheese ball! (or log or whatever you want.)
  
Hardware: waxed paper, NO POWDER latex gloves

Ingredients:

  • Cranberry Bacon Cheese Spread
  • ½ cup candied pecan pieces
  • 1 large container of dried parsley

1. Crush the pecans into large crumbs.

2. Using the gloves and waxed paper roll the cheese spread into a ball or a log.

3. Mix quite a bit of the parsley and the pecans on another sheet of waxed paper.

4. Roll the cheese in the pecan mixture.

Serve with crackers. Garnish with cranberries and a parsly sprig.  It is best served right away so that the pecans don’t get soggy.



No comments:

Post a Comment