Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Instant Pot® Brisket I


Instant Pot® Brisket

So, you know I received an Instant Pot® for Christmas. I am pressure cooking everything! I was most excited to make a brisket. Usually, brisket requires four to five hours of low and slow cooking to create tender, melt in your mouth goodness. A pressure cooker cuts that time in more than half. This means that brisket is not just for Sundays anymore.

It should not take 2 full hours for the brisket to be ready. The cooking time is just 50 minutes, but you must allow the pot to pressure up and then pressure down. I am probably always going to take the extra time to allow my pot to naturally release. That will keep meat from drying out, won’t hurt soups or veggies and will act as an added safety measure. Also, always give the pot a tap AFTER the pressure has released and before you unseal the lid.

This was spectacularly easy to make. It was very flavorful, too. Many users on this Instant Pot® page/cult I joined on Facebook complained that their roasts were bland. I did not find this to be true. In my excitement I may have been imaging this, but it seemed as if the flavor saturated the meat and it was one of the best things EVAH….

Servings: 4
Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, an Instant Pot®, silicone tipped tongs, a small bowl, a fork, a strainer, a large bowl
Time: Active time: 15 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes; brisket in about 2 hours

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds brisket
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 3 ounces shallot (1 cup)
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 2 large sprigs rosemary
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • Salt & pepper
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

  1. Wash the shallot and garlic and roughly chop them. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the brisket.
  2. Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on sauté, high, more. Add the onion and garlic to the Instant Pot. Stir and allow the aromatics to sear for two-three minutes. Push to the side. Place the brisket, fat side down to the pot. Allow it brown for four minutes. Flip the brisket.
  3. Mix together the broth, ketchup and soy sauce. Pour over the brisket. Throw in the rosemary.
  4. Close and pressure cook on high for 50 minutes. Allow the steam to naturally release. That means that you just leave it alone until the metal float falls.
  5. Remove the brisket and allow it to rest until the sauce is ready. Strain the liquid into the large bowl, discarding the flotsam (stuff left from the veggies and herbs.) Return the liquid to the Instant Pot®. Bring to a boil on sautĂ©. Mix the corn starch and water in the small bowl until the cornstarch dissolves. Add the cornstarch-y water to the Instant Pot®. Stir until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust the salt.
  6. Serve the brisket over rice or mashed potatoes. Offer your guest the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment