Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Pork Tenderloin with Peaches, Ginger, and Thyme



Pork has been advertised as ‘the other white meat.’ Just like the original white meat, chicken, pork is low in fat and high in protein. Also, like chicken, pork is a bit of a blank slate, taking on the flavors of the spices and herbs it is cooked with. But for me, pork has a better texture than chicken and a richer flavor.

Like many of my recipes, this started in my wallet.  Pork loin was on sale. I noticed that the first peaches were in the market.  They are not really sweet yet, but they are fine for cooking.  Finally, I had a little stump of ginger that needed to be used. Turned out so good.

Servings: 6-8
Time:  Prep: 10 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes; Rest: 10 Minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board, a knife, a whisk, tongs, meat thermometer, a sauce pan, a sieve, and an ovenproof skillet (I prefer cast iron)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • A pork tenderloin (1 ½ pounds)
  • 12 sprigs fresh thyme (1 ½ teaspoons dried, divided)
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger (⅛ teaspoon dried )
  • Salt
  • 2 peaches
  • ¼ cup peach preserves
  • ⅓ cup ginger ale
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon spicy stone ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce

  1. Preheat the oven to 425°
  2. Cut open the peaches and remove the stones. Remove the leaves from 6 of the thyme sprigs. Grate the ginger. Rub the tenderloin with the thyme leaves and sprinkle with the ginger. Salt generously.
  3. Heat the oil in the skillet on medium high. Sear the pork on all sides. (Always use tongs to turn meat. When you turn meat with a fork, you must pierce it.  Piercing it releases juices, making the meat dry.) Place the peaches face down in the skillet.
  4. Place the skillet in the oven and roast until the thermometer reads 145° (about 10 minutes.) Allow the roast to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
  5. While the roast is in the oven, whisk the remaining ingredients together in the sauce pan.  You can just throw in the whole sprigs of thyme.  Allow to simmer. Taste and adjust the salt. When you remove the pork from the oven pour the sauce through the sieve over the resting roast.
  6. You can slice the peaches and serve them with slices of roast and sauce. 
Pork Tenderloin with Peaches, Ginger, and Thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment