Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Easy Cheesy Sausage and Macaroni Casserole

This casserole is warm, hearty, and comforting. Perfect for cold, dreary weather. I also like it because it is so easy and takes little prep. I make it when I want something that isn’t fussy and tastes great.

Another reason to love this recipe is that it is easy to tweak. You can stir in any veggie that you like.  I have added countless combinations of mushrooms, zucchini, corn, and carrots. Just soften them with the onions. You can also use a pound of cooked ground beef or cooked, chopped chicken in place of the smoked sausage.  I always sprinkle a little chopped fresh parsley, chives, or green onions on top before serving just for a little green.

Servings: 6-8
Time:    Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 45 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a can opener, a wooden spoon, a deep skillet, and an 8x11 glass baking dish

Ingredients: 
  • Cooking spray
  • Olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet
  • 1 onion (1 cup)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 pound smoked sausage
  • 1-14 ounce can diced tomatoes-undrained
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup bread crumbs 
Easy Cheesy Sausage and Macaroni Casserole
  1.  Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray the dish with the cooking spray.
  2. Cut the sausage into 1 inch slices. Roughly chop the onions and garlic.
  3. Heat the oil in the skillet on medium high. Add the sausage, onions and garlic. Allow the sausage to get brown and crispy on the edges (5 minutes).  Stir occasionally.  
  4. Add the tomatoes, their juices and the broth to the skillet.  Bring to a boil.
  5. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, macaroni, cheese, and salt.
  6. Pour the mixture into the glass dish and top with the crumbs.  The pasta will finish while baking.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve warm with a side salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment