Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Creamed Spinach

I love spinach.  I love Creamed Spinach even more. I first had Creamed Spinach at Izzy’s Steaks and Chops in San Francisco. Izzy’s is old school and so is Creamed Spinach. I imagine that when my grandfather was out on the town he ordered Creamed Spinach with a huge, rare steak and a glass of Cutty Sark, straight up. It is simple, yet elegant. Fancy without being fussy. And very easy to make.

Creamed Spinach makes an excellent addition to any meat dish.  I often serve it with steak or pork loin.  But truth be told, I like to eat it right out of the pot, all by its lonesome.

Servings: 4-6
Hardware:  Food processor, knives and cutting boards, measuring spoons and cups, a deep skillet, a whisk and a wooden spoon
Time:  Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes

Creamed Spinach
Old School Elegance
Ingredients: 
  • 2 pounds baby spinach leaves
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 shallot (⅛ cup)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 cup cream
  • ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
  • A pinch of nutmeg
  • Salt to taste
  1. Chop the spinach leaves in the food processor. Dice the garlic and the shallot.
  2. Over medium heat melt the butter in the skillet, add the diced shallot and garlic clove.  Sauté until the shallot is soft, for 2 or 3 minutes.
  3. Whisk in the flour.  Whisk until it is a paste and the color of honey.
  4. Stir in the cream, cheese and spinach. Sprinkle in a dash of nutmeg and salt.
  5. Cook on low for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.  Taste and adjust the salt.
  6. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment