Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

White Chicken Chili

White Chicken Chili
Autumn is the perfect weather for chili. However, we eat Tex-Mex around here so often that I get bored. So I decided to make White Chicken Chili.  AND because I have been at work every day from about 6 am ‘til 4 pm, I decided to cheat.  I opened cans and used a rotisserie chicken that I purchased from the deli.  It turned out great.

Servings: 6-8
Hardware:  A cutting board and knives-or a food processor, measuring spoons and cups, a large Dutch oven (or other big pot with a heavy bottom), a wooden spoon, a can opener
Time:  Prep:  10 minutes    Cooking: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion diced (1 cup)
  • 3 cloves garlic peeled, diced
  • 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño peppers
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon each, salt & pepper
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1-4 ounce can mild green chiles
  • 2 ½ cups chicken stock
  • 2-16 ounce cans white kidney beans-drained
  • 3 cups cooked chicken-chopped or shredded
  • Rice, sour cream, corn chips and shredded cheese for garnish

  1. Wash the onions and garlic and dice them.  Dice the jalapeño. Roughly chop the cilantro. OR throw the onions, garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro in the food processor and pulse until everything is practically a liquid. Set the veggies and herbs to the side. 
  2. Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven on medium. Add the onions, garlic, pepper, and cilantro into the Dutch oven. Stir and allow the onions, etc to sweat for 4-5 minutes.  The onions should be bubbling, but not browning.  Stir occasionally. 
  3. Push the veggies to the side. Turn up the heat to medium high.  Add the spices and flour to the empty spot in the pan. Allow the flour to brown, but not burn.  Stir often.
  4. Add the stock and scrape the bottom of the pan, loosening up all the brown bits of flour.  Allow the stock to come to a boil. Stir in the beans and chiles. Allow the chili to come to a boil and then turn down to low.
  5. Simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the salt. Stir in the chopped chicken during the last few minutes of cooking.  If you add it earlier, it will get mushy.
  6. Serve over rice.   Garnish with sour cream, corn chips and shredded cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment