Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Shrimp Scampi

Everyone loves Shrimp Scampi, but everyone prepares it a little differently.  I have tweaked this recipe a million times.  This is where I am now. I like pre-cooking the shrimp a little in the liquid, before I bake it.  I think it keeps it moist.  I also use less butter than most of the scampi dishes I have tried, because it can be a little greasy.  You can use more or less crumbs depending upon your preference. You can sprinkle a little chopped parsley on top for garnish.

I served this to some friends.  They loved it.  From beginning to end, it only took me 35 minutes.  Fast, beautiful, and delicious. 

Servings: 4-6
Time:    Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 15 Minutes
Hardware:  measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a skillet, a small bowl, a slotted spoon, a wooden spoon, a glass pie plate or other shallow casserole dish, a large pot                  

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb -21/25 count shrimp-cleaned with tails removed
  • ½ stick butter
  • 1 lemon
  • ¼ cup white wine
  • 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons fresh basil
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 8 ounces
  • Salt
  • Parsley for garnish

  1. Wash the parsley and basil and roughly chop them. Crush the garlic. Squeeze the lemon. Generously salt the shrimp
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚. Put salted, pasta water on to boil.
  3. Melt the butter in the pan on medium. 
  4. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until you can smell it (a minute or so.) Toss in the shrimp, parsley, basil and red pepper flakes.  Cook until the shrimp just turns pink. This should take no more than a minute.
  5. Add the wine and lemon juice and turn the heat to medium high.  Allow the liquid to come to a boil. Immediately remove it from the heat.
  6. Remove the shrimp to the glass dish with the slotted spoon.  Add about 2 tablespoons of the liquid to the shrimp.
  7. Mix the crumbs, cheese, and Italian seasonings together.  Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the shrimp. Bake the shrimp scampi until the crumbs brown, about 10 minutes.
  8. While the scampi is baking, boil the pasta according to package directions.
  9. Serve the scampi over the angel hair immediately. Sprinkle a little chopped parsley on right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment