Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sweet Lime Chipotle Wings

The Super Bowl is this weekend. I was having a bit of trouble trying to create a blog entry for the game.  When making food for a party, I try not to be too adventurous.  I figure that not everyone wants to try something TOO, TOO new.  Who doesn’t like wings?  They are easy to make and can be made in a million varieties.  When I was thinking of new wing flavors to make I thought about flavors that went well together.  Sweet, spicy, tangy=honey, chipotle, lime.  These turned out to be really good.  Jeff loves them.  I hope our friends do, as well.

Servings:  Dozen wings
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, a baking sheet, a cooling rack (or foil), a small bowl, a sauce pot, tongs, wooden spoon, zester
Time: Prep-10 minutes, Cook-50 minutes

 Ingredients:
  • 1 dozen wings
  • 3 tablespoons softened butter
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
  • Pinch of cayenne
  • Salt & pepper
  • ¼ cup lime juice
  • 1 cup chipotle salsa
  • ¼ cup honey
  • Zest of 2 limes
  • Cooking spray

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
  2. Place the cooling rack over the baking sheet.  If you don’t have a cooling rack, just line the baking pan with foil.  Spray the rack/foil liberally with cooking spray.
  3. Use the kitchen scissors to separate the flaps from the drums.  Also snip the points from the flaps.
  4. Mix the softened butter with the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne in the small bowl.
  5. Rub the wings completely with the butter mixture.  Then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
  6. Place the wings in a single layer onto the rack.  Place in the oven.  Cook for 20 minutes. Flip and roast for 20 more. If you prefer crispier wings turn the broiler on for 5 minutes or so. Make sure to monitor them so they don't burn. Turn the oven off and leave in the warm oven for 10 minutes.
  7. While the chicken is cooking, place the lime juice, chipotle salsa, honey, and zest in the sauce pot.  Heat on medium high, stirring until the honey is completely melted.
  8. Remove the wings from the oven and toss in the sauce.
  9. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You might also like: Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Wings and Hot Garlic Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment