Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Onion Gruyere Wheels

The past few months have been so awful, that I’m having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit.  I also missed making a holiday post, which made me sad.  So I decided to bake.  Cooking helps relax me, which in turn brightens my mood.  And even if this is too late for you to add to your Christmas menu, maybe you can use it for New Year’s Eve?  Or just Saturday.

I have been wanting to make an onion tart, but I have been too busy for pastry. So, I bought a puff pastry and improvised.  Onion, thyme, and gruyere really go well together.  I added bacon, because I love bacon.  What doesn’t taste better with bacon?  If you don’t like bacon, you can omit it.  Or add roasted portabello mushrooms instead. 

Servings:  About 15 roll-ups
Time:  Thaw: 30 minutes, Prep: 20, Cook: 40 minutes total
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a skillet, a paper towel covered plate, a wooden spoon, a clean flat surface, a small bowl, a fork, a pastry brush, 2 baking sheets and parchment paper, cooling rack

Ingredients:
  • 6 slices of thick cut bacon
  • 1 frozen puff pastry sheet
  • 6 cups sliced onions
  • A pinch of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 6 ounces shredded gruyere cheese (the best you can afford)
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • Water
  • Flour for dusting





  1. Cover the baking sheets in parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Allow the pastry to thaw for about 30.
  3. Cook the bacon until it is crispy.  Crumble the bacon onto the paper towel covered plate.  Set aside. Clean the skillet.
  4. Slice the onions into rings.  Put the onions, sugar, and enough water to cover the onions half way into the skillet on medium high.  Stir often.  Cook until the water has evaporated.  As soon as the water has evaporated, turn the heat down to medium and monitor carefully.  The onions will caramelize quickly.  Don’t allow them to burn . This should take about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
  5. Pre-heat the oven to 400°. 
  6. Beat the egg and a tablespoon of water in the small bowl.
  7. Unfold the pastry sheet onto the lightly floured work surface. 
  8. Brush the pastry sheet with the egg wash. 
  9. Top the pastry with the cheese.  Cover the cheese in the caramelized onion and thyme. Cover the onion with the crumbled bacon.
  10. Starting at a short side, roll the pastry up. Cut the roll into about ½ inch slices. 
  11. Put the wheels, cut-side down, onto the baking sheets.  You may need to re-shape them a little so that they are round.
  12. Brush the wheels with the egg wash.
  13. Bake for 15 minutes or until the wheels are golden brown. 
  14. Rest the wheels on the cooling rack for about 10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment