Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Caffeinated Roasted Pork Tenderloin

If you are like me (or every other person on the planet) your day doesn’t really begin until you have had your first cup of coffee.  But coffee isn’t just for drinking. I like to use it when I cook, too.  I remember my Grandma using coffee leftover from breakfast to make gravy at dinner.  Many people are familiar with using coffee to flavor desserts because it compliments chocolate so well, as both of them share bitter flavor profiles.  However, I have experimented and discovered it can add a rich complexity to other dishes, too.

Coffee adds just the perfect punch to this pork roast.  Jeff liked it so much he made a sandwich from the leftovers for lunch the next day.  I think you will like it, too.

Servings: 6-8
Time:    Prep: 10 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes; Rest: 5 Minutes

Hardware:  A bowl, measuring spoons, a fork (or small whisk), a plate, an ovenproof skillet (I prefer cast iron), tongs, meat thermometer, a cutting board, and knife

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons freeze dried, granulated coffee
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Pinch- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper (depending on your taste)
  • 1 tablespoon spicy, stone ground mustard
  • A pork tenderloin (1 ½ pounds)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°
  2. Mix the coffee, sugar, salt, mustard, and pepper together
  3. Heat the oil in the skillet on medium high
  4. Rub the tenderloin with the coffee mixture
  5. Sear the pork on all sides. (Always use tongs to turn meat. When you turn meat with a fork, you must pierce it.  Piercing it releases juices, making the meat dry.)
  6. Place the pork in the oven and roast until the thermometer reads 145°.  (About 20 minutes.)
  7. Allow the roast to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Buzzy & Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment