Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Apple Crisp

This week America celebrates her Independence. Apple Pie has always been seen as the quintessential American dessert. But pie crusts are hard to make and in another great American tradition, I’m taking the easy way out and making Apple Crisp instead. Believe it or not, because I don’t add sugar to the apples and only to the crisp this has less than 300 calories per serving. Also very American to eat Apple Crisp and claim to be dieting. God bless the USA.


Servings: 6
Time: Prep: 15 minutes, cooking: 45 minutes
Hardware: Measuring cups and spoons, peeler, knives, cutting board, wooden spoon, 2 small bowls, large mixing bowl, and 8”x 8” glass dish


Ingredients:
  • 6 medium tart apples~ about 2 pounds (I like Granny Smiths)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon + ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 6 tablespoons of sweet butter, melted
  • Cooking spray
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 375°
  2. Melt the butter in the microwave.
  3. Peel, core and chop the apples. Toss them in the lemon juice.
  4. In the mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, pumpkin spice, flour, and oats.
  5. Pour the butter over the oats mixture and blend until the mixture is crumbly.
  6. Spray the glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the apples in the baking dish then sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon.
  7. Sprinkle the oat crumbs over the apples
  8. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until apples are soft and the crisp is crispy.
 Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra decedent dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment